Monday, July 05, 2004

Mission Trip

Last Friday, I went on a mission trip to Gerik. I didn’t know exactly where I was going but just went ahead with 3 more friends. My journey there was a pleasant one and we stopped at many places to eat. One of my friends commented its Makan-nary instead of Missionary. We ate durian but it was not as good because the season is ending. I saw many different road signs including “Awas Gajah Liar Melintas.” There was an elephant picture on the yellow sign board. It was my first time seeing such a peculiar sign in Malaysia.

The journey was about three hours and we passed 2 bridges and it overlooked the Temengor Lake. It was truly a beautiful sight. We had to travel for about 40mins by boat to Kampung Chuweh, an orang asli settlement. Boat ride was fun and it was as scary as I thought it will be. We were greeted by Ps.Panggilan and his wife. The orang asli there were different compared to the orang asli I saw in Cameron Highlands. The children were running naked and they are so cute.

A girl named Bom caught my attention. She is about 4 years old and she was carrying a baby behind her back. Such a small girl yet her eyes showed much courage and she was rather shy. After resting, we taught them some songs and simple mathematics. They were quite shy at first.

We have to wash vege in the lake and cooking in the small bamboo house was quite an experience. At about 8.30 pm, my girl friend and I went for a bath. As usual there were no electricity and water supply. We bathed in the lake. We both jumped in and had a whale of time. Many thoughts rushed to my mind as I was reminded of all the shows that I’ve watched like Piranhas and Jaws. Scary.

We called it a day after a long day of traveling. Before I forget, we also managed to see the full moon shinning across the sky. The moon’s reflection on the water was something you can only see it in the movies, but there it was, what a mesmerizing sight. A sight that I will never forget.


1 comment:

gR@c3y said...

wah.. so nice heh you?? get to go on missions and such. wish i could to and see the people and the sites. i envy you sometimes. you look so relaxed. i'm all stressed with assignments and trying to catch up with studies, maklum lar i abit lembap. anyway, sorry haven't kept in touch with you much over the wireless device (namely handphone). been low in credit and saving up to buy my own pc. hehe... costing me a bomb but it's something i want. of ya, keep me in prayers too as you will understand why when you read my blog. take care ya, miss ya!! send my love to the rest of the party kerbau (HAHAHA!!!) up in penang. tell them i miss them sooo very much and when i visit them again, though they've graduated they are to return to that appartment to see me. hehehe..